How to choose landscape rocks, stone, and masonry for Southern Alberta
Choosing the right hardscape for your landscaping is not easy. This guide will help you narrow your choices. Landscaping rocks, bricks, and masonry help you build the foundation of your landscape.
- Why choosing the right hardscape is essential.
- Tips for choosing the right material for your landscape design
- What kind of rocks are used in hardscape?
- What kind of masonry is used in landscaping?
- Tips for choosing the right size of hardscape
- Tips for choosing the right colour of stone, masonry, and rocks
- Which hardscape materials require less maintenance?
- Southern Alberta landscape hardscape options
Why choosing the right hardscape is essential.
Hardscape is the foundation of your landscape. It can create walkways, patios, retaining walls, and more. The right hardscape can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of your landscaping. When choosing suitable rocks, stones, and masonry for your landscape, there are many factors to consider. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
– The climate in Southern Alberta can be harsh. Choose materials that can withstand extreme temperatures and winds.
– The type of soil in your landscaping will affect the type of hardscape you can use. For example, if you have clay soil, you’ll need to choose rocks and stones that are appropriate for that type of soil.
– The size of your landscaping project will affect the type and amount of hardscape you’ll need. A small patio will require less material than a large retaining wall.
– Your style will also play a role in choosing the right hardscape. Do you prefer a natural look or a more polished look?
Once you’ve considered all of these factors, you’ll be able to narrow down your choices and choose the suitable rocks, stones, and masonry for your landscape.
Tips for choosing the right material for your landscape design
There are many types of rocks, stones, and masonry. The right material will depend on the look you’re going for and the function of the hardscape.
– If you want a natural look, choosing rocks native to Southern Alberta is a good option. Local rocks will blend in with your landscaping and won’t require much maintenance.
– If you’re looking for a more polished look, choosing bricks or masonry is a good option. Bricks and masonry can be used to create clean lines and geometric shapes.
– If you want a hardscape that’s low maintenance, choosing materials that are durable and easy to clean is essential. Materials like concrete and stone are good options.
– If you want a hardscape that’s easy to install, choosing pre-formed pavers is a good option. Pavers come in various shapes and sizes, so you can find an option that fits your landscape design.
What kind of rocks are used in hardscape?
Rocks can add a unique look to your landscape and can help with drainage and erosion control. Rocks can also help keep your landscape’s plants and flowers healthy by providing nutrients and aeration. Many types of rocks can be used in hardscape, including:
Also known as landscape rocks, river rocks are a versatile and popular choice for landscaping in Southern Alberta. They come in various sizes, shapes, and colours, making them perfect for many types of landscape design.
When choosing river rocks for your landscaping project, you must consider the size of the rocks you need. The larger the rocks, the more they will weigh and the more difficult they will be to install. Smaller stones are easier to work with and can be used in various ways.
Another critical factor to consider when choosing river rocks is the colour. You want to choose a colour that complements your home and landscaping design. Popular colours for river rocks include grey, white, and black.
The final factor to consider when choosing river rocks is the material. River rocks are made from various materials, including granite, limestone, and sandstone. Each type of rock has its unique look and feel. You’ll want to choose a material that compliments your overall landscape design.
When choosing rocks for your hardscape, it is essential to consider the climate in Southern Alberta. The rocks you choose should be able to withstand the extreme temperatures of our seasons.
Gravel is another popular rock option.
Gravel is versatile, comes in various colours and sizes, and is easy to install. Pea gravel is the most common type of gravel used in landscaping. It is small, round, and smooth, making it ideal for pathways, walkways, and driveways. Crushed gravel is another type of gravel that is larger and rougher than pea gravel. It is often used for drainage purposes or as a base for pavers, concrete, or other hardscape projects.
When choosing gravel for your landscaping, it is essential to consider the size, colour, and type of gravel best suit your needs. The size of the gravel should be based on the intended use. For example, pea gravel is too small to use as a base for pavers but would be fine for a pathway. Crushed gravel is a good choice for a driveway because it will pack down and provide good drainage. The colour of the gravel should complement your other landscaping elements. For example, light-coloured gravel in a garden with dark-coloured rocks and mulch will help brighten the space.
Slate offers a unique look for your landscaping.
It comes in many shades of grey, green, and purple. It is a very durable stone that can last a long time. Solid and durable, granite and limestone are popular choices for landscaping. They come in many colours, including pink, white, and black. It is available in various colours, including white, tan, and grey. It is a very versatile stone that can be used for various projects.
What kind of masonry is used in landscaping?
The most common types of masonry used in landscaping are bricks and pavers. Bricks are typically made from clay or concrete, while pavers are made from stone, concrete, or plastic. Both bricks and pavers come in various sizes, shapes, and colours.
When choosing bricks or pavers for your landscaping project, it is vital to consider the climate. In Southern Alberta, with a lot of freeze/thaw cycles, you will want to choose brick or paver that is frost resistant.
What are some other factors to consider when choosing landscape masonry?
In addition to climate, you will also want to consider the overall design. Do you want a natural look or something more formal? Choosing suitable rocks, stones, and masonry can help create the perfect landscape for your home.
You’ll also want to think about how much maintenance you’re willing to do. Some landscape materials require a fair amount of upkeep, especially if you choose a natural material like stone. If you’re not up for spending time cleaning and sealing your hardscape, you may want to consider a lower-maintenance option like brick or concrete.
Finally, the cost is always a factor to consider. Natural stone is usually the most expensive option, while brick and concrete are typically more affordable. However, consider that cheaper options may require more maintenance in the long run.
Tips for choosing the right size of hardscape
Your landscaping project will determine the size of your hardscape. For example, if you’re working on a small patio, you won’t need as much material as you would for a large retaining wall. It’s essential to choose the right hardscape size to fit well with the rest of your landscape.
– If you’re working on a small project, choosing smaller rocks, stones, and pavers is a good option. This will help to create a cohesive look.
– If you’re working on a large project, choosing larger rocks, stones, and pavers is a good option. This will help to create an impactful look.
Tips for choosing the right colour of stone, masonry, and rocks
The colour of your hardscape will play a role in the overall look of your landscaping. Choosing the right colour can be challenging, but it’s essential to consider the other colours in your landscape. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
– If you want your hardscape to blend in with your landscaping, choosing rocks and stones similar in colour to the plants and trees in your landscape is a good option.
– If you want your hardscape to stand out, choosing rocks and stones contrasting in colour with the plants and trees in your landscape is a good option.
– If you want a more uniform look, choosing rocks and stones that are all the same colour is a
Which hardscape materials require less maintenance?
There are many different hardscape materials, each with its maintenance requirements. Choosing materials like concrete and stone is a good idea if you’re looking for a low-maintenance option. These materials are durable and easy to clean.
Concrete is a versatile material that can be used in various applications. It is easy to clean and is very durable. Stone is also a low-maintenance material and comes in multiple colours and textures.
Choosing rocks or boulders is a good idea if you’re looking for a more natural look. These materials are easy to maintain and don’t require much cleaning.
When choosing hardscape materials, it’s essential to consider your climate. In Southern Alberta, the weather can be extreme heat and cold. Choosing materials that are resistant to frost and heat is a good idea.
Concrete, stone, and boulders are all excellent hardscape materials in Southern Alberta. They are durable, low-maintenance, and easy to clean.
Landscaping is a reflection of your pride in home ownership.
When choosing the right hardscape for your landscape, there are many factors to consider. These tips help you select suitable rocks, stones, and masonry for your landscape design.
Hardscape are a great way to add some ambiance and interest to your outdoor space. These upgrades will be sure to help you enjoy your yard even more. Your inspiration can come from anywhere, and the possibilities are endless.
For ideas, contact us to speak to our product experts. They’ll help you pick the perfect affordable landscape upgrades for your project.